How To Buy The Right Exercise Bike For You
In 2017, the sales of fitness equipment for the home reached $3.76 billion. Buying machines for a home gym offers many people the chance to get in shape and stay on track with their fitness routines easier than relying on commercial gyms.
If you want to stock a home gym, an exercise bike offers incredible benefits. Here are just a few of them, along with what you should look for and consider when determining which bike will work best for you.
Exercise Bike Benefits
Exercise bikes provide a range of benefits for people to help them stay in shape. Here are just a few reasons why you should strongly consider including one in your home gym:
- Exercise bikes are low impact. Unlike other types of exercise equipment that can be hard on the joints, particularly the knees, exercise bikes do not exert such wear and tear. This makes them easier for people to use on a regular basis.
- Workouts are easy to customize. Depending upon your level of fitness and your exercise needs for the day, exercise bikes allow you to easily customize your routine. Depending upon your speed, resistance, and time spent on the bike, you can dramatically adjust your workout to fit your unique needs.
- Year-round accessibility. An exercise bike in your home gym allows you to get a cardio workout in regardless of the weather outside. It could be dangerously hot, extremely cold, or even storming, and you do not have to worry about missing a workout.
- Get a full-body workout. A bike will obviously engage the muscles throughout your legs. Adjusting the resistance and speed will allow you to focus on different muscle groups. What you may not realize, however, is that while on the bike, you also have the chance to work your abdominal and hip muscles. To ensure you engage these muscle groups, pull your belly button towards your back while keeping your hips neutral.
- Anyone can get started. Even those just beginning with an exercise routine can jump on an exercise bike. By keeping the pace moderate and the resistance light, beginners can begin to work their muscles and get a solid workout, increasing the challenge as their body becomes stronger.
Choosing The Right Exercise Bike For You
Now that you understand the value that can come with adding an exercise bike to your home gym, the time has come to review some criteria for selecting a bike.
Consider first how you will use the bike. A bike that will be heavily used should be more durable, and you may also be more willing to pay for extra features. If you plan on using the bike only in case of inclement weather, on the other hand, you can likely get a less sophisticated model.
Think also about whether or not you will be the only person using the bike. Many bikes have weight limits, so consider the size of the person who will also ride with you. This includes their height. Look for bikes that are adjustable for different heights if there are discrepancies between the different users. Consider the wear and tear that may result from multiple people using the machine several times a week for workouts.
When it comes to the workout itself, you also want to feel confident expressing your needs here. If you plan on following a more intense workout regime, you should look for machines where you can influence your incline. Increasing the incline will create a harder workout, increasing the calories burned and the muscle built.
Exercise Bike Specifications
Ensuring that the bike you buy meets the specifications you want will help it continue to serve you well throughout the years. Consider the type of seat it has, as different people will prefer different sizes and materials during their workouts.
Similarly, look at the weight limit for the bike, the ability to adjust the foot straps and handlebars, and the incline and decline features. Verifying that these features fit you will keep the bike comfortable.
For your workouts, other specifications you should examine are the dashboard accessibility and the number of resistance levels on the bike. See that each meets your needs so you can continue to exercise on the machine for years to come.
Exercise Bike Features You Desire
Depending upon your anticipated usage of the machine, you may want to consider a number of different types of bike features.
Make sure that the basic features of the bike are easy to use. Even new riders should be able to sit on the exercise bike and set up a workout. If the basic features appear too complicated, it might not be a good fit for you.
Look at the optional features you want. Many bikes will offer pre-programmed workouts. These workouts can keep you motivated and on track. They will dictate variables such as resistance and speed so that you can be confident in your workout.
Consider also how you plan to use the bike. Do you want to have a phone or an iPod plug to help you listen to music during your workout? Also, some bikes come with fans. Depending upon your exercise level and the bike’s location, this can also be a helpful feature to keep you comfortable.
Some people will also use heart rate monitors to guide them into a target exercise range. If this describes your style of exercise, buying a bike with one built in can be helpful.
Prepare To Purchase Your Bike
Now that you have gone through the steps of determining precisely what type of exercise bike will fit your needs and goals, the time has come to finalize your purchase. Look at the price tag on your top bikes – have you budgeted for your purchase or will you take advantage of financing options made available to you?
The method of buying should also be considered. Nearly anything can now be purchased online. For those who want to try out the bike in person before buying, however, this option can pose some challenges. On the other hand, if you have tried out the bikes at different shops and feel ready to buy a specific brand and style, online purchasing may allow you to shop around and find the optimal price tag.
Once you have purchased the bike, look at the bike’s set up and warranties. Make sure you know what is covered under the store and manufacturer’s warranties. Read the manuals to ensure you set up and care for the machine correctly so you do not void any of the warranties. Examine the store’s return policy so you know exactly what to do in the event that something does not work correctly.
An exercise bike offers gym goers the chance to get a fantastic workout right from their own home. Considering the varieties of bikes available, think carefully about the features and specifications you will want, so that you end up with a comfortable bike that you can continue to use for years to come.
If you’re ready to reap all the benefits of what an exercise bike has to offer, check out ProForm’s range of exercise bikes here.